Thursday, August 9, 2007

Alllllmost there!!!

This is a picture of my trumpet vine that I have been babying for a year and a half. It has finally reached the top of the post so it can start growing horizontally now. We built this deck last spring after 10 years of having to jump 3 feet to the ground from the kitchen door. The deck that was here when we moved in was rotten and unsafe so we tore it down. I'm still not sure which was more dangerous...the 3 foot drop or the rotten deck?

This vine grows wild and I probably could have dug one up somewhere but this one has variegated leaves and I really liked that. It is also a fast grower and that was the main reason I wanted it. The sun comes in my kitchen window and door in the afternoons and makes the kitchen so HOT. I know..why not just get blinds or curtains? I am somewhat anti-binds and curtains. I live in the middle of nowhere and I want to be able to see outside all the time. I just have a weird thing about blinds..maybe it is the cleaning of the blinds I don't like?
Unfortunately, this is how far we still have to go. I have been told, however, that the vine will grow much faster horizontally than vertically. We'll see I guess.

1 comment:

Juliann said...

Hi Sheila,

We just planted a trumpet vine this spring, but it is growing quite slowly. :( My grandmother had one grow all the way up the telephone pole, so I'll keep babying this one and see what happens with it. Hopefully, it will grow as nicely as yours has.