Monday, October 29, 2007

National Anthem


I have sat through more games than I could possibly count. My oldest daughter was a cheerleader from 3rd through 12th grade. I went to almost every football game and basketball game she cheered at. My middle daughter cheered from 3rd through 8th grade and then played volleyball 9-11th ( one year to go). I went to almost every football, basketball and volleyball game. My son has played football, basketball and baseball since he was 6 years old. I have been to almost all of his games as well. My point? Well, at every game, the national anthem is sung. That is a lot of games. Some years ago, I found myself looking at the flag and wondering how many people even think about the flag or our country while they stand. Don't get me wrong. I'm not judging. When you attend that many games, it is easy to stand there and wonder what time you'll get home and how many things you can get accomplished before you get to bed.
I decided that every time they play the national anthem and I stand and look at our flag, I would say a prayer for our soldiers, their families, the leaders of our nation (regardless which party is in control). I am so thankful to live in such a great nation and I am especially thankful for all those who VOLUNTEER to serve this country.
I dread the upcoming elections. The bickering has already begun. Most of what they say has no substance and they never really answer any question asked them anyway.
That is why I decided to pray for the leaders of our nation (regardless of who has power). They all need it. Our country needs God...politically correct or not. We need a leader who knows he needs God.
Here is the verse of the week...hope you enjoy
Psalm33:8-15
Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the people of the world revere him. For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm. The Lord foils the plans of the nations; he thwarts the purposes of the peoples. But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations. Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people he chose for his inheritance. From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth--he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.

No comments: